Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Crazy for Canines

For those of you who have known me for a while, the announcement of my getting a second dog is the proof that I had really gone over the edge. For the first 57 years of my life, I viewed dogs as an intrusion on my personal space. I didn't like them, and it seemed all of them thought I wanted to be their best friend, Not!
Sissy Beatrice Webb
We had dogs at home, but they were outside dogs and never came in the house. Also, my Dad had to sometimes kill a dog that started running his cows that he was trying to fatten for market. I thought the world was a much better place without them.
When my cousin Bonnie and I bought a house together, her dog Sally moved in as well. I tolerated her because Bonnie tolerated my child!
In 2009, I had been in my house in Thompson's Station for about two years. Being by myself has always been comfortable for me. But at age 57, I wanted a companion that was here all the time. A husband brought more baggage than I wanted, so I opted on a whim to take in a Miniature Schaunzer that my sister found was being given to the first taker. Sissy was five weeks old, and I let her sleep in a tiny crate on my bedside table. I was as scared to have her in my care as I was when Samuel was born. She would awake during the night, I'd take her outside, get her back to sleep, and I would again try to sleep. It was love at first sight. We had our adjustment difficulties, but I was amazed at how I was so attached to this little animal with the most expressive eyes I'd ever seen.
Sissy at 5
Sissy is now 5 years old, and she has gotten a little lazy. The thought occurred to me that maybe a playmate might push her to run around and play a little more. I went to Find A Pet. Com and fell in love with a 5-year-old Jack Russell Terrier mix. Her name was Lady, and she needed a forever home.


Lady Webb
Lady and Sissy playing











The day after Labor Day, Lady came to live with us. I had no idea how Sissy would react, and I wasn't sure that Lady would be happy here. After two-plus weeks, all is well in the Webb household. Sissy and Lady haven't had a cross word--a few less than friendly looks, but no growls exchanged. They love to run outside and inside.
On the Deck
It's interesting to see how a shelter dog reacts to lots of love and attention compared with a pup you've raised since it was weaned. I try to reassure Sissy that she is still my little girl and will always be my baby. It is a joy to watch them run out of their crates in the morning ready to go outside and face the day.
Watching TV with Mom
Since I have two best friends of the canine persuasion, it is all I can do to go to Petsmart on adoption Saturday without crying.  The saying I believe is "there's no fool like an old fool"...guilty as charged and lovin' every minute of it. Glad I figured it out before it was too late!

1 comment: