Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hardwood Heaven

My home in Culleoka was built right after the Civil War. Family tradition has it that the original home was burnt to the ground because the owners tried to hide a horse from the Union Army when they came through. There was a catalpa tree in the front yard with all the bark burned off the side facing the house, so it seemed plausible.
The floors were wooden, but painted boards that were less than modern. Before my sister was born (1963) Mom and Dad decided the best way to get new floors was to install them...DIY before it was cool. 
I can remember coming home from school and finding mom on the floor, sitting on a pillow, with nails in her mouth, hammering hardwood planks into the old floor. They did everything but sand and finish, but it saved a boat load of money back then. 
My current home in Thompson's Station was typical late 1990's design with hardwood in the foyer, dining room and kitchen. Carpet was in the den and master bedroom. 
Today my dream of having hardwood throughout the first floor came true. It took a chunk out of my retirement account, but I can't remember when I've been happier with the way something turned out. Monday, I have a person coming to give the original hardwood a face lift so it won't clash with the new wood. Thank you, The Floor Shop in Lewisburg for an excellent job!
Work in Progress--Bye, Bye Carpet!

There's a Talent To This














Finished!

Getting Back to Normal














Adding a throw rug for this winter
so my feet won't hit the cold floor first.

No comments:

Post a Comment